+39 055 8368222
The chronicles tell that there was a "miraculous" weeping of Our Lady, after which the village of Pontassieve saw the disappearance of the cholera epidemic that for years had affected it. In addition, for a few years there was a noticeable reduction in litigation, aggression, theft and all other injustices. This was one of the dynamics that influenced the Misericordia Brotherhood to build what would become the Social Chapel, which would certainly been impossible without the contributions of the local population. The Misericordia Chapel was erected around 1855, the year of the "miracle", and the architecture is that of a later style, the dimensions contained were proportionate to the use by members of the Brotherhood. Now the Chapel is wedged between urban buildings that limit its aesthetic beauty, and on the left there was a vegetable garden and most probably the houses were lower and not adjacent to each other, so the façade of the Chapel overlooked the course of the Sieve, with paths that descended to the river and on the other side there were fields, vineyards, and olive trees around the well-built buildings.