Founded in 1836, the Misericordia Brotherhood of Pontassieve has always distinguished itself in the sectors which were intended by the original statute, moving from respect and sharing of every situation of need, inviting brothers and sisters to a constant commitment of charity and justice in society. Amongst aspects that make up our memorable history, a remarkable place goes to the Social Chapel
The chronicles tell that in 1855 there was a "miraculous" weeping of Our Lady, after which the village of Pontassieve saw the disappearance of the cholera epidemic that for years had affected it. In addition, for a few years there was a noticeable reduction in litigation, aggression, theft and all other injustices. This was one of the dynamics that influenced the Misericordia Brotherhood to build what would become the Social Chapel, which would certainly been impossible without the contributions of the local population. After more than a century, the Brotherhood has grown and, to date, we are proud to be able to count on the support of 14,000 registered families and a fleet of 14 ambulances, five funeral vehicles, 13 vehicles for social welfare, two vans equipped for the transport of disabled persons and six vehicles equipped for carrying out Civil Protection activities.
Below are some historical photographs that immortalize the Misericordia Brotherhood in Pontassieve, offering a tangible testimony to our commitment and motivation.
Half health transportation